Virtual Surgery Simulation Virtual SurgerySIM Inc.
Project Role:Unreal Developer/VR Developer Intern
Virtual Surgery Simulation is a medical training tool designed to help surgeons practice medical procedures. It uses a virtual reality in the Unreal Engine 4 to place the user in front of a simulated operating table. With this virtual training environment surgeons can go through a procedure before doing it for real.
I worked on the early prototype during the spring of 2016 for Virtual SurgerySIM Inc. My main role was Unreal Developer/VR Developer Intern. However, being part a start-up company, I wore many hats and touched many aspects of the project.
- Research surgery and technologies to use for the project.
- Developed a system for creating and saving surgical sessions.
- Built the Operating Theater environment while adapting purchased art assets for the Unreal Engine 4.
- I designed and developed systems for the interactive elements of the scene including the C-Arm and the surgical positioning system.
- Implemented virtual reality support for both standing and room-scale
- The Leap Motion for hand tracking.
- The Oculus Rift Development Kit 2.
- The HTC Vive for room-scale VR.